BlackBerry news & announcements from Alliance Summit
I’m attending BlackBerry World and today is the Alliance Summit for RIM Alliance Partners. Here are some notes around interesting news, announcements and updates from RIM.
- RIM has acquired mobile device management company Ubitexx to extend what BES can do.
- New BlackBerry Balance feature to avoid compromising device security in consumer & social app scenarios.
- Store within a store for enterprises.
Some (fairly developer-specific) highlights from BlackBerry World’s Alliance Summit:
- Native C++ SDK for PlayBook available mid-year
- BlackBerry App World on every device
- Devices will also include BlackBerry ID set up for payment, carrier billing and federated identity (with carriers); including support for prepaid airtime etc.
- Android Player – run Android apps on the PlayBook. Apps still submitted to AppWorld – there won’t be integration with Google Marketplace. No support for NDK/C++ integration. Demo (apparently the first outside RIM) included the IMDB app – performance looked good.
- Webtrend-powered app analytics
BlackBerry 7 Smartphone OS
- New Liquid Graphics UI
- Digital Compass & NFC
- HD Playback and recording
BBM Social Platform
- 43+ mm active users
- 2+ mm users a month
- 100+ bn messages a month
- Can be embedded directly within in app
BlackBerry App World 3.0
- Support for subscription billing – PayPal, Credit Card and Carrier billing
- Country level pricing
- Simple API for developers in Java, Adobe AIR and WebWorks apps